tor controller hangs / doesn't reply

Roger Dingledine arma at mit.edu
Thu Jun 4 02:35:20 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jun 02, 2009 at 06:54:03PM -0400, Sambuddho Chakravarty wrote:
> I use the TorExample.py with slight modification to suit my purpose to
> access the tor control service. However I see it hang often and there is
> no response from the tor control service. I am not sure what could
> possibly be the problem . Its quite non-deterministic . There is no
> fixed pattern or occurrences which cause the server to stop responding.

Is this related to the Tor modifications you made? :)

> However the situation corresponds to no data being transferred through a
> TCP stream using the Tor circuit to which it is assigned. A 'wget'
> session which uses Tor to perform the download shows no throughput in
> the throughput indicator.

You could gdb attach to the Tor process and see where it is. Or watch
the debug logs carefully. It's also possible that Tor is just slow --
but that shouldn't cause your control port to stop responding.

I should also note that TorExample.py is several years out of date. So
it's possible that it does not play well with the current Tor anymore.

Mikeperry: is TorExample.py still (thought to be) compatible with TorCtl
and friends?

--Roger