25 tbreg relays in directory

punkle jones punkle.jones at gmail.com
Tue Jun 30 06:13:13 UTC 2009

On Mon, Jun 29, 2009 at 2:59 PM, Scott Bennett <bennett at cs.niu.edu> wrote:

>     On Mon, 29 Jun 2009 09:19:21 -0500 punkle jones <
> punkle.jones at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >Unlurking for the first time, I think.
>
>      Welcome to the fray! ;)
> >
> >Why not join forces with a popular freeware/shareware product like Aim or
> >Winamp, with an "uncheck to opt out" option and a description of tor.
>  Such
> >a bundle could be preset to relay, and there's got to be a magic bandwidth
> >that most western users could tolerate.  Is it ethically wrong to insert
> TOR
> >into the userspace of the less-informed by associating it with a popular
> >(hopefully not unsavory) download?  Does this concept fly in the face of
> >free will?  Is it just too sneaky?  It's not like you'd be putting five
> new
> >toolbars into their browser.
> >
>     Take a look at some reasons, beginning at
>
> https://www.torproject.org/download.html.en#Warning
>
> Then let us know whether you still see a way for such an "uncheck to opt
> out"
> arrangement to be a good idea.  Keep in mind that, in general, people do
> not
> currently read EULAs displayed by software installer packages, so you're
> not
> likely to get them to read and understand a bunch of pages from the tor
> project's web site in the middle of installing a different package that
> also
> includes tor.
>
> Well, my thinking was along the lines of causing more TOR installations,
with the motivation provided up front and not during an installation..  Just
because it's installed doesn't mean it has to be used.  I imagined a
good-faith service that someone runs because they feel it benefits everyone
without necessarily needing it themselves.  The sketchy part is getting
folks to run another thing on their computer to help other folks out.
Unless a ton of new tor installations would be a burden instead of a boon.

>                                  Scott Bennett, Comm. ASMELG, CFIAG
> * Internet:       bennett at cs.niu.edu                              *
> * "A well regulated and disciplined militia, is at all times a good  *
> * objection to the introduction of that bane of all free governments *
> * -- a standing army."                                               *
> *    -- Gov. John Hancock, New York Journal, 28 January 1790         *

Punkle Jones  // cDc/NSF NON-31337 humanoid