25 tbreg relays in directory

Alec Burgess buralex at gmail.com
Tue Jun 30 03:32:32 UTC 2009

punkle jones (punkle.jones at gmail.com) wrote (in part)  (on 2009-06-29
at 10:19):
>  Unlurking for the first time, I think.
>
>  Why not join forces with a popular freeware/shareware product like
>  Aim or Winamp, with an "uncheck to opt out" option and a description
>  of tor.  Such a bundle could be preset to relay, and there's got to
>  be a magic bandwidth that most western users could tolerate.  Is it
>  ethically wrong to insert TOR into the userspace of the less-informed
>  by associating it with a popular (hopefully not unsavory) download?
>  Does this concept fly in the face of free will?  Is it just too
>  sneaky?  It's not like you'd be putting five new toolbars into their
>  browser.

I've been following this thread with interest. From what I've read our
best guess as to why other users are installing the package which uses
Tor is to provide the  means to circumvent the restrictions  on quickly
creating multiple accounts for a particular auction group (*Taobao)*.
Correct so far? Presumably the effect of  doing this are likely to be
unwelcome to *Taobao.com * management and/or other non-participating
users/bidders/sellers?

Question: ignoring any possible bad reputation this brings to the TOR
community at large does this have the side-effect of increasing exit
nodes and thereby providing more capacity to everyone? Or is typical
usage for those who want to create the multiple accounts just to open
them briefly and then cease immediately with no net noticeable effect on
the TOR network as a whole?

--
Regards ... Alec   (buralex at gmail & WinLiveMess - alec.m.burgess at skype)