Ping times with Tor running

Kris Linquist kris at linquist.net
Sat Jun 27 15:47:01 UTC 2009

All,

The answer to this may be "yeah, duh.", just thought I'd ask :).   I've
got a residential cable connection where I am guaranteed 22mbit down,
5mbit up.   My Tor relay BandwithRate is 1000 KB  bursting up to 2000 KB.

While Tor is running, incoming and outgoing pings to the nearest hop
goes from ~15ms to ~300+ms.  This is very obvious when browsing.

Is this expected or do you think it's poor performance by either my ISP
or cable modem at accepting many connections?

Thanks,
Kris