(Solution. Please read) Re: Help Iranian dissidents by collecting and posting Bridge addresses? (here?)

Andrew Lewman andrew at torproject.org
Fri Jun 19 18:19:02 UTC 2009

On 06/19/2009 01:37 PM, Chris Humphry wrote:

> I then thought of contacting Channel One and telling them about Tor,
> TorBrowserBundle and Tor Bridges.  Why not have them put TBB on
> *each* pen they send out?  And with each TBB they could include the
> signature and a .txt file with a few Tor Bridges listed.

Other organizations have put TBB on a USB drive for their needs.  If you
 extract it and have it ready to go it works best. They should include
the source .exe and signature (and sha-1 hash fwiw).  So more
sophisticated users can verify it really is our TBB, not a trojaned TBB.

They should not include a text file of bridge addresses.  Especially if
you want each pen to have a different list.  That's a fine way to
enumerate all bridges for someone to block them faster.  If Tor works in
 country already, there's no need to force bridges.  Users can find
bridges through the Vidalia Help just fine.

> Is Vidalia trasnled into Farsi?

Yes.  Vidalia, Torbutton, and TBB itself are translated into Farsi, see
https://torproject.org/torbutton

Getting TBB into the hands of those who need it is a great idea;
publicizing this fact may only harm those same people.  Once it is known
the USB pen is more than just a camera, it becomes a larger risk to
being caught with it, and invites more scrutiny.  A fine way to find out
how fast the arms race can accelerate is to get lots of press and force
the other party into action.  (Of course, now we've said this in a
public forum broadcast to the world.)

I encourage you to talk to Channel One.  I'm also happy to help out.

--
Andrew Lewman
The Tor Project

Website: https://torproject.org/