Iran + tor

Roger Dingledine arma at mit.edu
Wed Jun 17 19:23:46 UTC 2009

See e.g. https://www.torproject.org/bridges

>      For blocked directory servers:
>
> ## Use tunneled directory server connections when available
> ##  (defaults to 0)
> TunnelDirConns 1
> ## Avoid using directory servers that do not provide tunneled connections
> ##  (defaults to 0)
> PreferTunneledDirConns 1

The text you're quoting must be years old. TunnelDirConns and
PreferTunneledDirConns have defaulted to 1 starting in Tor 0.2.0.x.

We made that change in part because Smartfilter and Websense (used in
countries like Iran) learned how to detect the old unencrypted directory
requests from Tor 0.1.2.x and earlier.

--Roger