eliminating bogus port 43 exits

Kyle Williams kyle.kwilliams at gmail.com
Fri Jun 12 07:44:19 UTC 2009

Hi Scott,

Got a couple of questions.

- Have you looked deeper into the request for port 43, using tcpdump or
Wireshark?
- Do you KNOW that it is a WHOIS request, not OpenVPN or something else
running on the WHOIS port?
- Have you logged what IP's are being connected to?

I just curious, as this seems to be really odd to me that so many WHOIS
request are going through Tor.
I'm almost curious enough to run a exit node now just to see what might be
going on.

- Kyle