Introducing Torfox 3.0.10

Kyle Williams kyle.kwilliams at gmail.com
Thu Jun 11 23:03:07 UTC 2009

Hi,

I'm not seeing the benefit of Tor Fox since Tor Browser Bundle[1] and XB
Browser[2] do the same thing your doing.  Why are you trying to recreate
work that's been done already?First off, you didn't even have the browser's
proxy set to use Tor on port 9060, I had to set that myself. I noted that
the Tor Fox homepage is set to use the Tor Fox search engine, which is uses
Google results, and display's google ADs right on the top of the page.  I
was able to get a real IP address from my deanonymizer that I've been
working on. Further more, a few security issues exist with Tor Fox.
- Several URI's can be used to reveal your true IP address.
- All the plugins are still enable (Flash, Adobe Reader, etc..), which can
lead to IP disclosure.
(I stopped my review after I found this out, because one could be really
pwned with all plugins enabled.)

This leads me to think that you're trying to make a quick buck off of Google
ADs while leaving Tor users exposed to security exploits of would-be evil
doers or some hackers that just enjoy making a ruckus. So, if you are
serious about securing Tor Fox then you need to install TorButton.  Mike
Perry and others have worked hard on making TorButton secure from several
different types of attacks and information leakage, hence why it is used and
trusted by many.  You should have a look at the design document for
Torbutton.

Feel free to review this, but I for one wouldn't use it.
My quick review can be found at:
http://www.janusvm.com/goldy/audits/TorFox_Audit_06_10_2009.rar

Best regards,

Kyle Williams