Yahoo Mail and Tor

Fabian Keil freebsd-listen at fabiankeil.de
Sun Jul 5 17:00:47 UTC 2009

bao song <michaelwprx at yahoo.com.au> wrote:

> Two months??? I have had trouble with Yahoo Mail via Privoxy for more
> than four years.

I'm sorry to hear that.

Are you by any chance using the Vidalia bundle which unfortunately
contains a Privoxy version that is several years out of date?

> At first, I was given some config file modifications
> for  Privoxy so it would allow me to use Yahoo Mail, but this disabled a
> lot of the stuff Privoxy did, and I wanted that stuff for other sites.
> Also, I was still unable to log out of Yahoo Mail even with the
> modifications someone had posted. So I now disable all of Privoxy when
> signing out of Yahoo Mail. Here, behind a Middle Eastern firewall, the
> Yahoo Mail signout is often blocked by the firewall, as well as by
> Privoxy for reasons that escape me. Sometimes, I can sign out if I don't
> use Tor at all. Other times, I can only sign out if I use Tor without
> Privoxy. Yahoo mail is accessible through Privoxy, but all style sheets
> are disabled, so the display is rather annoying. Annoying or not, I use
> Privoxy until I need to sign out, disable Privoxy, sign out of Yahoo
> Mail, then turn Privoxy back on in default mode. I'm still not sure what
> it is about Yahoo Signout that Privoxy (and the local firewall) see the
> need to block.

That sounds like a lot more work than simply upgrading
your Privoxy version or even back porting the action file
changes manually.

As far as I know, the Yahoo-related problems have been fixed
quite some time ago and if you still notice any problems with
Privoxy 3.0.12 or later, feel free to report them so we can
fix them.

Fabian