VoIP telephony building like Tor

Alexander Cherepanov cherepan at mccme.ru
Sat Jul 25 18:04:11 UTC 2009

Hello, Scott!
You wrote to or-talk at freehaven.net, "Vlad \"SATtva\" Miller" <sattva at pgpru.com> on Sat, 25 Jul 2009 06:59:43 -0500 (CDT):

>      On Sat, 25 Jul 2009 18:12:52 +0700 "Vlad \"SATtva\" Miller" <sattva at pgpru.com> wrote:
>>James Brown (25.07.2009 00:16):
[skip]
>>> Very many Russian people were killed, unlawful arrest or simply
>>> disappear last 4 - 5 years from activity our new Government...
>>
>>Please, please, keep political FUD off the list.

>      Given that what he wrote is about a) events reported in the press
> internationally and b) one of the highest priority justifications for
> having a tor development project in the first place, *your* comment
> would appear to be a non sequitur.  Perhaps you should have changed
> your Subject: line to reflect whatever OT issue you wished to discuss
> instead of what was already being discussed.
>      The OP has requested information, and several of us now have tried
> to find information that he might be able to use to his advantage in
> the situation he believes he faces.  If you have additional information
> along these lines, please post it.

I'm sure that Vlad is happy to see the ongoing discussion of technical
questions raised by the OP. He just asked to keep political FUD off
the list. And I'm completely agree with him, IMHO unfounded (and
founded probably also:-) talks about bloody regime are not for this
mailing list. YMMV.

As for banning Skype in Russia, AFAICT it's FUD also. Everything seems
to be based on some discussions in The Russian Union of Industrialists
and Entrepreneurs (just hysterics by mobile operators loosing market
share?). It's somewhat troubling but I'm not sure it's worth much
discussion until there are some concrete details.

What the OP proposes is also somewhat strange. Build the possibility
to "call to ordina[r]y telephones" into Tor? Sure, just add some PSTN
exit nodes...

Alexander Cherepanov