Newbie needs help

Bob Williams security at barrowhillfarm.org.uk
Fri Jul 24 11:40:39 UTC 2009

On Friday 24 July 2009 12:26:39 Scott Bennett wrote:
>      On Fri, 24 Jul 2009 12:18:52 +0100 Bob Williams
>
> <security at barrowhillfarm.org.uk> wrote:
> >>
> >> That shows my correct WAN IP address, as allocated by my ISP. I presume
> >> that shows that tor is not working.
>
>      Just a thought...when you look at the bottom of your firefox window,
> do you see a small box that says, "Tor Enabled" in green lettering?  If it
> has red lettering saying, "Tor Disabled", try clicking on it.

Yes, I can turn it green (enabled), but when I do, it warns me
"The most recent Tor proxy test failed to use Tor.

Are you sure you want to enable anyway?"

> >BTW, when I open the ports in my router do I have to specify the UDP
> > protocol as well as TCP?
>
>      If you are running tor only as a client, you should not need to do
> anything to your router.  If you are running tor also as a relay, then you
> do need to set RDR rules for your ORPort and, optionally, DirPort.  tor
> does not directly provide any sort of UDP service to the outside world, so
> no, you needn't worry about doing anything about UDP at all in your router
> for tor operation.

Thanks, that's good to know. My intention in installing Tor/Privoxy is
ultimately to provide a relay, rather than anonymising my own activity, though
that might be interesting.  ATM I am trying to get it working properly as a
client, before exploring the wonders of relays ;)
--
Bob