How to set time.

Niels Elgaard Larsen elgaard at agol.dk
Thu Jul 23 05:28:17 UTC 2009

How do you set the system time anonymiously?

I am interested because we make the Polippix live CD. But there could be
other circumstances, in which you just do not know the time.

When booting from a live-cd, the time is often wrong, because the
hardware clock is off or because the timezone for the hardware clock is
unknown (ufortunately not everyone use UTC).

TOR does not work until the time is set correctly. (after TOR is running
NTP will not work as it uses UDP, but it would be possible to use some
TCP service)

I would prefer to not start each session with making a cleartext time
sync, as it opens for denial of service attacks and makes it easier to
spot TOR-users.

How about getting the time from TOR nodes, maybe just to figure out the
timezone (i,e., change the clock a multiple number of hours)?

--
Niels