25 tbreg relays in directory

Jim McClanahan jimmymac at copper.net
Thu Jul 2 21:30:47 UTC 2009

Arjan wrote:

> Jim McClanahan wrote:
> [...]
> > Certainly, protecting
> > the network is a priority.  Protecting "uninformed or unsuspecting"
> > users gets trickier IMHO.  I'll admit this is a bit of a hot-button
> > issue for me and I may have overreacted.  But I think care needs to be
> > taken before cavalierly shutting something down to protect uninformed or
> > unsuspecting users.  I agree with Ringo <2600denver at gmail.com> when he
> > wrote (at Tue, 30 Jun 2009 00:06:01 -0400) "Remotely disabling Tor nodes
> > is a slippery slope."
>
> In my humble opinion, protecting uninformed or unsuspecting users /
> relay operators should be a priority.

The discussion was about Tor *clients* not Tor *servers*.  I have
repeatedly stated I didn't have problems with disabling the servers if
that was needed to protect the network.  And while I didn't specifically
mention "client" in what was quoted above, I did reiterate that
protecting the network was important.