My tor exit node is STILL gone from the node list

Scott Bennett bennett at cs.niu.edu
Tue Jul 21 07:55:16 UTC 2009

     On Tue, 21 Jul 2009 08:41:46 +0200 Timo Schoeler
<timo.schoeler at riscworks.net> wrote:
>thus Scott Bennett spake:
     Actually, no, I didn't, but I did write :-) :
>|> I have limited experience in running servers. From what I found out,
>my Xen dom0 is traceable
>|> (89.248.169.106), while the virtual host running TOR is not
>(89.248.169.109, vif-bridge). I can
>|> still access the web server running on 109 though.
>|> Is this a Xen misconfiguration? I can't think of anything that I have
>changed.
>|>
>|      I've never worked with Xen, so I can't answer that.  However, it is
>| certainly possible to misconfigure other virtualization environments in
>| ways that would probably cause those symptoms.  OTOH, it strikes me as
>| more likely that the host system's packet filtering/redirection/NAT
>software
>| may be misconfigured.  Xen doesn't yet run on the BSDs, AFAIK, so I'll
>guess
>| that it's running on a LINUX system of some flavor, so iptables is
>probably
>| the filtering package.  Beyond that, I can't tell you much.  Some of the
>| LINUX users on this list ought to be able to give you some help in
>figuring
>| out whether the problem is with Xen or with the host system.
>|

>|                                   Scott Bennett, Comm. ASMELG, CFIAG
>
>hi,
>
>a vif-bridge in Xen does, what it's name says: It bridges. So when your
>domU has a 'proper' (plain standard seen from within the domU itself) IP
>setup, there's no difference to a bare metal host.
>
>However, as I see, your problem's already fixed?

     Actually, it was Alexandru reporting the problem, not I, but it's not
obvious that it is fixed.  kyirong2 has been missing from the consensus
for quite a few hours now.  I don't know whether that means he is trying
different Xen tricks, is working with his ISP, or some other possibility
that would leave his node down or unreachable for now.

                                  Scott Bennett, Comm. ASMELG, CFIAG