Yahoo Mail and Tor

Jim McClanahan jimmymac at copper.net
Fri Jul 10 06:15:18 UTC 2009

Scott Bennett wrote:

>      On Thu, 9 Jul 2009 20:37:38 -0400 downie - <downgeoff2 at hotmail.com>
> wrote:
> >Will Polipo be able to filter out .exit notation?
> >
>      Why would you want it to do that?  The .exit notation has to be passed
> along to tor for it to work.  If it were filtered out, then the user would
> see a connection failure of some kind.

I believe you are correct that you don't want to filter it out at the
privoxy level.  But I don't think it would result in a connection
failure, but rather that the exit node specification would not be
honored (other than by accident).

A long time ago I think there was a problem with the .exit... in the URL
being passed along to the website in the GET (or other) requests, which
sometimes caused problems.  Somebody correct me if I am wrong, but I
believe now something in the tor chain of software (client, relays,
exit) filters that out.