Tor 0.2.1.12-alpha is out

Jari Turkia jmjt at lut.fi
Tue Feb 10 10:41:14 UTC 2009

Roger Dingledine wrote:
> Eventually, you're right, we should design a Tor network and protocol
> where each relay doesn't have to reach each other relay. That's harder
> than it sounds, though, if you want to keep anonymity and have low
> directory overhead too.

Ok. How many connections do I need to run a Tor node successfully?

Of the 65000+ available I'd definitely need some (read: majority) for
other purposes. And when they happen to run out, IMHO writing a log
entry every 20 ms is way too often.

I understand that re-writing entire protocol is difficult, but looks
like current protocol does not scale up well if 1000 connections are
needed just for keeping things up-to-date.

Since these messages never convey emotions and feelings correctly,
please don't take that as a criticism towards the work Tor Project has
done so far. I'd just a regular user and am willing to chip in by
offering an anonymous connection which is so needed in this weird world
we all live in. But if the cost is that all my system's resources go
just to operating the network there certainly is room for improvement.

Regards,
Jari Turkia