Time Warner bad / VPS recommendations

Scott Bennett bennett at cs.niu.edu
Tue Feb 3 07:07:12 UTC 2009

     On Mon, 02 Feb 2009 20:42:01 -0600 Matthew McCabe <mateo07 at mrmccabe.com>
wrote:
>So Time Warner Cable finally gave me an ultimatum that either I stop
>running Tor or they will shut off my service.  This was after 3 DMCA and
>2 general abuse/hacking complaints.  Note that Time Warner does not say
>anything about proxy servers in their AUP.  They were just tired of
>getting these complaints on my account.  Also, AT&T was not able to
>setup DSL service at my location...so I have decided to kill my Tor exit
>node.

     Really?  When you sent Time-Warner a letter based upon

	http://www.torproject.org/eff/tor-dmca-response.html.en

what was their response?  Did you counter with a politely stated promise
to file a formal letter of complaint with the FCC against Time-Warner if
they disconnect you without justification under your contract with them
or under their AUP?  You could point out in such a complaint that you had
abided by the contract and the AUP and had no recourse to another service
(assuming that no other service is indeed available).

>I would really like to continue running a Tor exit node.  I have looked

     Are you giving up too soon?

>at a couple virtual hosting companies such as vpslink and slicehost.
>Some of their cheaper plans seem like they would be sufficient for
>running a Tor exit node.  Does anyone run Tor on a VPS?  If so, which
>company and plan do you use?  Have you gotten any flack for running a
>Tor exit node?

                                  Scott Bennett, Comm. ASMELG, CFIAG