Time Warner bad / VPS recommendations

John Brooks special at dereferenced.net
Tue Feb 3 02:48:48 UTC 2009

Two very important factors to keep in mind for a tor node on a VPS are
memory and FD limits. A lot of VPS software will limit the number of sockets
available to each guest, which is usually a limit tor will run into quickly.
I run my 300 KB/s node with a limit of 8192 sockets, and it usually has
5000-6000 open. Aside from that, a tor node handling a significant amount of
traffic will start using ridiculous amounts of memory after running for a
couple days; I regularly see mine at 200-300mb. VPS systems are notoriously
low on those two resources, so you should keep that in mind while searching.

As for hosts that will allow Tor, the best recommendation I have is to be
up-front about it. Explain it and ask explicitly if you will have problems;
there is a good chance they'll give a vague answer to get the sale and go
back on it later, but still worth a try.

And just because somebody should say it, thanks for being so dedicated to
running a node. Tor depends on people like you ;)

 - John Brooks