Bittorrent

Freemor freemor at gmail.com
Fri Feb 20 15:24:59 UTC 2009

On Fri, 20 Feb 2009 15:36:12 +0100 (CET)
"Marco Bonetti" <marco.bonetti at slackware.it> wrote:

> On Fri, February 20, 2009 15:02, Freemor wrote:

> As you can see at
> http://jonas.nitro.dk/bittorrent/bittorrent-rfc.html#anchor18 the "ip"
> field is totally optional (many bt clients let you specify your real
> ip, usually after you enable a proxy setting), the tracker will
> identify your client with the "peer_id", the "port" values and what
> you need from / have to offer to the swarm.

Many other clients do not let you sent the IP that get reported
Transmission for example has the option to connect to the tracker
through a proxy but no way to set what IP gets reported.

> The tracker response
> (http://jonas.nitro.dk/bittorrent/bittorrent-rfc.html#anchor19) will
> send you a list of peer_id/ip/port and your own entry will be
> composed of your peer_id and and (non torified) port with the exit
> node ip.
The way I read this it will be the IP that was reported to the Tracker
that is included unless none was reported. So if your client is
reporting an your IP address (optimal for transfers/ not optimal for
privacy)

>Data exchange is described at
> http://jonas.nitro.dk/bittorrent/bittorrent-rfc.html#anchor21 as you
> can read the peers only check if the peer_id is a valid one (it is in
> the tracker response), not if the ip address is a known one, in this
> way you keep on reporting torified ips to the tracker and the real ip
> to the clients you connect to.

Peerid is used once the connection is established as we can see from
the first paragraph in this section:

"Any remote peer wishing to communicate with the local peer must open a
TCP connection to this port and perform a handshake operation. The
handshake operation MUST be carried out before any other data is sent
from the remote peer"

if the wrong IP address is specified (and defaulting to the exit node
ip by having the client not report one results in a incorrect IP)
People wont be able to connect to you at all (you'll be able to
download but wont share much back)

So from what I see unless you stop you client from sending the IP or
the client doesn't send it. then your proper IP will be reported to the
tracker. If your client doesn't send your IP and you use tor You will
end up in a state that makes your client a total leech?

freemor at gmail.com
freemor at yahoo.ca

This e-mail has been digitally signed with GnuPG - ( http://gnupg.org/ )