use of SCTP in volunteer relay networks (a bit off-topic)

Paul Syverson syverson at itd.nrl.navy.mil
Fri Feb 13 15:35:37 UTC 2009

On Fri, Feb 13, 2009 at 07:09:49AM -0800, F. Fox wrote:
[snip]

> Drake Wilson wrote:
> >
> > I'm not sure who proposed reimplementing Tor with UDP... ?
> >
> (snip)
>
> It's listed in this document, though I don't know who the original
> proposer(s) were:
> https://svn.torproject.org/svn/tor/trunk/doc/roadmaps/2008-12-19-roadmap-full.pdf

I can't swear who first thought about it. It was a conscious decision
to use TCP for both Tor and earlier versions of onion routing (from
NRL, ZKS Freedom chose UDP over TCP) vs. unreliable transport.  You
can see discussion of some of the issues we were considering several
years ago when discussing moving Tor to UDP in
https://svn.torproject.org/svn/tor/trunk/doc/design-paper/challenges.pdf

There is a recent master's thesis from Joel Reardon at Waterloo
and a doctoral dissertation from Camilo Viecco at Indiana that each
discuss transport issues for Tor.

HTH,
Paul