Need help getting started

Adrian Brown adrianbrown at airplane.freeserve.co.uk
Sat Dec 19 15:52:11 UTC 2009

Hi, everyone!

I've just signed up to the list, and am still feeling my way (been a while since I've used a mailing
list like this), so please excuse any bumps!

I've just downloaded and installed TOR to another of my computers that I use to try out new stuff
on, but I can't seem to get it working properly. It all seemed to install OK, and when I start it,
it seems to be connecting to the network OK too, but I'm unable to actually access any websites
using it. So I'm asking for help here from those who know these things, as I'd really like to get
TOR up and running ASAP.

My system spec is as follows:
Celeron 1.1GHz
128 Meg
20GB drive (about 2GB free)
XP Home SP3
Firefox 3.0.16 (I think - it updated last night...)

My ISP is Orange Broadband in the UK, and I'm running AVG Free 8.5, XPAntispy, Spybot-S&D and also
have Malwarebytes Anti-Malware installed as a scanner.

When TOR is disabled, I can browse perfectly normally, but with it enabled, I just can't get to any
websites at all - Not even the most basic HTML-only pages.

So I'm looking for advice on what's wrong, and what I need to do to fix it, and any help will be
VERY gratefully received!

Cheers,

A.