trouble upgrading TOR, and question regarding situation in China

andrew at torproject.org andrew at torproject.org
Thu Dec 31 00:59:26 UTC 2009

On Wed, Dec 30, 2009 at 04:10:21PM -0800, rupertmccallum at yahoo.com wrote 2.1K bytes in 36 lines about:
: When I try to install the new version of TOR I get the error message:
:
: Error opening file for writing:
:
: C:\Program Files\Vidalia Bundle\Vidalia\vidalia.exe

The typical causes are:  1) Exit from a running Vidalia. 2) you don't
have permission (non-admin account). 3) out of disk space.

: Also, I had a question regarding a query of a friend. I showed him how
:to use TOR in orer to get access to Facebook in China and he says that
:no longer works. Is it impossible to use TOR in China at the moment,
:or would there be some way of fixing that?

China has been blocking the list of public relays by IP address since
September 25.  They appear to have updated the list of public relays
around December 24th.  Look into using bridges in China, tor still works
that way.

--
Andrew Lewman
The Tor Project