Vidalia Bundle and RSS in Thunderbird 3.0

Programmer In Training pit at joseph-a-nagy-jr.us
Wed Dec 30 05:34:39 UTC 2009

On 12/29/2009 9:55 PM, andrew at torproject.org wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 28, 2009 at 09:12:10PM -0600, bennett at cs.niu.edu wrote 2.3K bytes in 49 lines about:
> :      Does Thunderbird perchance have a way to set the timeout to a different
> : value?
>
> There appear to a few ways to set the timeout, unsure which one matters
> for rss feed pulls over http over tor from TB3's perspective.
>
> In the Config Editor, there is:
>
> mailnews.tcptimeout set to 100
> network.proxy.failover_timeout set to 1800
>
> Changing these doesn't seem to matter too much.  I set them to 9000 and
> there were still some test feeds that didn't load (blog.torproject.org
> oddly enough).

That's nice to know. ):

I've been testing some time out changes in FF to see if there is any
difference. So far I haven't seen any but I've yet to fully put it to
the test (I'm having problems with pages not fully loading, mainly on
techrepublic.com.com)

> : >> Hrm. So tor automatically blocks smtp connections by default and there
> : >> is local leakage of DNS by TB3. Guess it's time to find a new mail
> : >> client. ):
>
> There is a config option named:
> network.proxy.socks_remote_dns which is set to false by default.
> Setting it to True does appear to work as intended.

It's odd that it works in TB3 and not FF. Perhaps I should have
restarted the browser before trying to load the hidden wiki.

> And if you didn't catch it, the default Thunderbird Start Page (on
> WinXP) is
> http://live.mozillamessaging.com/thunderbird/start?locale=en-US&version=3.0&os=WINNT&buildid=20091204171430
>
> When the socks proxy is set, this does go over tor correctly.
<snip>

I will try it again this weekend. I am getting really busy this week and
don't want to have to worry about missing a timely email from a client
or coworker. I really can live with the feeds not polling correctly for now.