TOR and ISP

Curious Kid letsshareinformation at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 29 23:16:55 UTC 2009

----- Original Message ----

It was a direct quote without comment from me. I apologize if my lack of context made it appear scary. You seem to know something about the subject, so I would like to ask you about it..

US CODE: Title 18,2703. Required disclosure of customer communications or records
http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/18/usc_sec_18_00002703----000-.html
(f)  Requirement To Preserve Evidence.—
(1) In general.— A provider of wire or electronic communication services or a remote computing service, upon the request of a governmental entity, shall take all necessary steps to preserve records and other evidence in its possession pending the issuance of a court order or other process.
(2) Period of retention.— Records referred to in paragraph (1) shall be retained for a period of 90 days, which shall be extended for an additional 90-day period upon a renewed request by the governmental entity.

How transparent are these government requests? How do we know the scale, scope and specificity of them? If we ask, will they tell us what is being retained? If it is routine to retain records for a short amount of time, what would prevent the government from making sweeping requests that they could then sort out in the future?

Here is a two minute video made by the ACLU of Northern California about what they claim in going on right now. According to them, the government is purchasing a lot of user information from brokers:

Demand Your dotRights
http://www.dotrights.org/education

I hope this information is not "spreading FUD." I think it would be of interest to privacy advocates and the Tor community.