Vidalia Bundle and RSS in Thunderbird 3.0

Scott Bennett bennett at cs.niu.edu
Tue Dec 29 03:12:10 UTC 2009

     On Mon, 28 Dec 2009 16:15:01 -0500 Andrew Lewman <andrew at torproject.org>
wrote:
>On 12/28/2009 03:48 PM, Programmer In Training wrote:
>> The RSS poller has some weird timeout when a
>>> feed can't be read via Tor.  However, TB3 just left the feed stale if it
>>> couldn't be updated when tor circuits took longer than 2-3 minutes to
>>> get the data.
>>
>> That's pretty much what it does for me, leaves the feed stale (and
>> useless). I guess I'll have to get a third-party poller and use it in
>> the open.
>
>It depends if you want it updated every refresh.  Sometimes, tor doesn't
>build a circuit fast enough for TB3, so TB3 gives up and moves on.  I
>imagine overtime, you'll get your updates just fine.

     Does Thunderbird perchance have a way to set the timeout to a different
value?

>> Hrm. So tor automatically blocks smtp connections by default and there
>> is local leakage of DNS by TB3. Guess it's time to find a new mail
>> client. ):
>
>Actually, no.  The default exit policy blocks smtp ports.  Sometimes,
>you can find exit nodes that allow smtp.  These are times are typically
>few and far between.

     I thought that, pursuant to a discussion here last year or the year
before, the default exit policy was changed to allow the smtps port.  Did
that change not get made after all?

>I intend to dig through the tb3 source code a bit to see if there's an
>option for forcing dns resolution over the proxy.

     Does it have a way to choose SOCKS 4A instead of SOCKS 5?

                                  Scott Bennett, Comm. ASMELG, CFIAG