Vidalia Bundle and RSS in Thunderbird 3.0

Andrew Lewman andrew at torproject.org
Mon Dec 28 21:15:01 UTC 2009

On 12/28/2009 03:48 PM, Programmer In Training wrote:
> The RSS poller has some weird timeout when a
>> feed can't be read via Tor.  However, TB3 just left the feed stale if it
>> couldn't be updated when tor circuits took longer than 2-3 minutes to
>> get the data.
>
> That's pretty much what it does for me, leaves the feed stale (and
> useless). I guess I'll have to get a third-party poller and use it in
> the open.

It depends if you want it updated every refresh.  Sometimes, tor doesn't
build a circuit fast enough for TB3, so TB3 gives up and moves on.  I
imagine overtime, you'll get your updates just fine.

> Hrm. So tor automatically blocks smtp connections by default and there
> is local leakage of DNS by TB3. Guess it's time to find a new mail
> client. ):

Actually, no.  The default exit policy blocks smtp ports.  Sometimes,
you can find exit nodes that allow smtp.  These are times are typically
few and far between.

I intend to dig through the tb3 source code a bit to see if there's an
option for forcing dns resolution over the proxy.

--
Andrew Lewman
The Tor Project

Website: https://torproject.org/