Vidalia Bundle and RSS in Thunderbird 3.0

Andrew Lewman andrew at torproject.org
Mon Dec 28 20:35:23 UTC 2009

On 12/28/2009 01:18 PM, Andrew Lewman wrote:
> I'm going to create a vm and load up tb3 to see what issues arise.  It
> may be that much like firefox, the tb socks support is lacking.

I set this up and tested it.  The TB3 correctly used SOCKS
localhost:9050 as socks 5 just fine.  It leaked dns, but otherwise the
requests went over Tor.  The RSS poller has some weird timeout when a
feed can't be read via Tor.  However, TB3 just left the feed stale if it
couldn't be updated when tor circuits took longer than 2-3 minutes to
get the data.

As for mail, I could get imaps, pop3s to work over tor just fine.  There
were no exit nodes allowing smtp or s-smtp through their exit policies
when I was testing, so sending mail via tor didn't work (as expected).
Again, dns leaked locally.

--
Andrew Lewman
The Tor Project