Vidalia Bundle and RSS in Thunderbird 3.0

andrew at torproject.org andrew at torproject.org
Mon Dec 28 02:59:08 UTC 2009

On Wed, Dec 23, 2009 at 11:19:35PM -0600, pit at joseph-a-nagy-jr.us wrote 2.1K bytes in 48 lines about:
: feeds are polled (the new topics are displayed but not readable). I get
: an error saying that Tor is not an HTTP transport proxy or some such (I

Right, Tor is a socks proxy, not an http proxy.  You may have
mis-configured the proxy settings in thunderbird 3 to use localhost:9050
for the http and https protocols.

: Is this normal behavior? If so, why? This isn't covered in your online docs.

It is.  What may not be covered is Thunderbird 3 specifically, since
it's new and we rely upon volunteers to tell others how to configure
various programs.   And as you've discovered, tor tells you it isn't an
http proxy.

--
Andrew Lewman
The Tor Project