TOR and ISP

Jim Jimmymac at copper.net
Sun Dec 27 12:03:22 UTC 2009

Scott Bennett wrote:
>      The key here is that the ISPs not only cannot detect encrypted URLs,
> they cannot detect what the user is doing, not even whether the user is
> trying to connect to a port or is simply transmitting packets over an already
> open connection or is closing a connection.  They cannot detect the
> destination address or port number.

Perhaps you meant when /using Tor/ the ISP cannot detect the destination
address or port number?  (I read your email several times and did not
detect this meaning.)  Surely on a generic encrypted connection the ISP
can determine the destination of the connection.  (For a Tor user, that
would be the the IP address of the entry guard.)

Cheers,
Jim