TOR and ISP

Ted Smith teddks at gmail.com
Sun Dec 27 02:37:43 UTC 2009

On Sat, 2009-12-26 at 17:23 -0600, Programmer In Training wrote:
> On 12/26/2009 5:13 PM, Seth David Schoen wrote:
> > Arshad writes:
> >
> >> thank you very much. then if the user uses tor for his all browsing
> >> purposes, from the isp end how does they see this? shouldnt they know
> >> which sites the user visits? if dad request the bill include all the
> >> sites the son visits what would the give? is the user shown as a peron
> >> who doesnt use internet or what will be there recorded for where the
> >> dns request came from etc?
> >
> > The ISP would see the user visiting a number of Tor nodes.  If the user
> > isn't using bridges, then the ISP will know that the user is using Tor,
> > but not what the user is doing with Tor.  For example, the ISP won't
> > know what sites or services the user is using through Tor.
> >

> May I ask what bridges is in regards to Tor?

I'm responding off-list because this is a question easily answered on
the Tor websites ;-)

A bridge is a Tor entry node that isn't in the official list of Tor
nodes. The person operating the bridge sets it up, and distributes its
descriptor to the people who they want to use the bridge. In most cases
bridge operators share the descriptors with the Tor Project, and then
they distribute the descriptors to end-users.