Making sure that I'm secured

Flamsmark flamsmark at gmail.com
Sat Aug 22 13:04:22 UTC 2009

On Sat, Aug 22, 2009 at 05:16, Sadece Gercekler <inanma at ymail.com> wrote:

> I'm using the Tor+Firofox browser bundle downloaded at torproject.org. I
> setup a virtual Windows XP machine under my normal OS (using VMWare) and I'm
> doing all my private browsing under that machine.
>
> I need to use an rss reader, but can't use a web based one (like google
> reader) since I have javascript disabled.
>
> I decided to use an application (like sharpreader) for rss, I configured it
> to use the Tor proxy and it seems to be using it (since it fails to connect
> when I stop Tor). But I want to be %100 sure it doesn't make any direct
> connections.
>
> Do you have any suggestions to make sure that nothing escapes outside
> except Tor itself? Is there any way to close all outgoing ports except for
> Tor under Windows XP Pro?
>
> Thanks

Depending on your host operating system, it may be possible to prevent any
internet access from that guest, except via a tor process on the host. There
has been some discussion on the list about how to do that with linux
guests/hosts, but I'm sure you could extrapolate from that. On the plus
side, if you prevent any non-tor access the the internet from the guest
machine, you may be more secure enabling javascript and browser plugins, and
using an online RSS reader.