Annoying loop situation

downie - downgeoff2 at hotmail.com
Sat Aug 22 09:33:01 UTC 2009

From: security at barrowhillfarm.org.uk
> To: or-talk at seul.org
> Subject: Re: Annoying loop situation
> Date: Sat, 22 Aug 2009 08:46:57 +0100

> > > --
> > > Bob
> >
> >  Isn't there the additional complication that if you want to use Privoxy
> > without Tor, you have to change the Privoxy config file as well? I don't
> > think Torbutton can do that for you.
> >
> In what way?
[edit]
> forward-socks4a	/	127.0.0.1:9050	.
> forward-socks5	/	127.0.0.1:9050	.

As I understand it (Library/Privoxy/user-manual/config.html Section 7.5.2) those lines forward all requests from Privoxy through Tor: if you want Privoxy filtering without using Tor in client mode, you have to comment those lines out. Then if at some point you *do* want to use Tor in client mode (still with Privoxy), you have to reinstate them.
Wiser heads may need to confirm this...
GD