Numbers of police-raids ?

Andrew Lewman andrew at torproject.org
Sun Aug 16 12:31:53 UTC 2009

On 08/16/2009 05:33 AM, Attac Heidenheim wrote:
> Hi everybody,
> I think everybody who plans to become an exit-node is frightened
> of being raided by the police (even in Germany) because of the server.
> Are there any numbers of police-searches available, especially for Germany ?

These fears are unfounded and more of a chilling effect than reality.  I
think the number of police raids due to solely running Tor is zero.
What's more likely is an inquiry by law enforcement because your exit
node IP address appears in a log file related to a targeted sting
operation.  These inquiries rarely involve SWAT teams and the like that
people see in the movies and on television.  People remember the
dramatic over the mundane and attribute these things to the wrong cause.

Two links that may help:

1)
https://blog.torproject.org/blog/tips-running-exit-node-minimal-harassment

2) https://blog.torproject.org/blog/five-years-exit-node-operator

In general, we've seen the reverse happen.  Someone gets a visit, with
or without dramatic actions, and this just increases their resolve to
continue to run a Tor node.

--
Andrew Lewman
The Tor Project