windows tor

Flamsmark flamsmark at gmail.com
Thu Aug 13 05:35:04 UTC 2009

'Widespread adoption' is not the current sort-term aim. While we all think
that fast, universal, anonymous internet access would be a good thing, we
simply can't support that right now. The volunteer network of relays isn't
that big. Even now, Tor has trouble dealing with the network load. If Tor
were to become more popular with users, without seeing a commensurate
increase in the relay capacity, that would massively reduce the
functionality of the network. Right now, It's important to make
tor available for the most at-risk users: those in oppressive
regimes, whistle-blowers,  undercover journalists and so on. After that, the
priority is on improving the structure of the system, not on further
usability.
While I can see where you're coming from in suggesting that a kernel driver
is better, the reality is more complex. Because the primary development
effort is on the core Tor software, a VM requires a relatively small
development effort at present. One barely even needs to be able to code to
construct a VM that uses existing software: it's mostly an exercise in
implementing best-practices. Moreover, a VM is actually easier to support
right now than a driver. A driver would need a coder dedicated to
maintaining it. A VM on the other hand needs only a geek, and can easily
update to the latest versions of Tor (and supporting applications) when they
are released.