unsubscribe or-talk

Scott Bennett bennett at cs.niu.edu
Tue Aug 11 05:14:55 UTC 2009

     On Mon, 10 Aug 2009 17:42:56 -0400 Michael Cozzi
<cozzi at cozziconsulting.com> wrote:
>Dan Collins wrote:
>> As was noted the last ten times (by my count) someone did this, and as
>> you were told when you registered, and as you are told in every email
>> sent by this list, and just like any other mailing list using this
>> software, of which there are a great many, your message says this:

>> and a few lines later,

>> Apparently, the illiterate still manage to learn how to subscribe
>> to mailing lists (perhaps their kids show them how?), though to what
>> purpose is anyone's guess.
>>

>    One of the things I love about being an IT Professional is, in
>general, being really smart. One of the things I hate about being an IT
>Professional is when the "really smart" look down their nose at someone
>who apparently can't do something simple.
>
>    USENET from 1992 is pretty much finished and I would personally be
>gratified, not that it matters, if you just explained the proper command
>to the guy instead of proving to me, and everyone else, that indeed you
>have mastered Majordomo.
>
>    I, for one, wasn't impressed. There's probably a good amount of
>"user class" subscriptions to this list. Try to remember that those
>folks actually get attention from women, and have what we, the IT
>People, only dream of: Lives.
>
>    Yes, I've had a bad day. But please... be nice.

     Actually, most/all of what he posted was a quotation without citation
of me from several weeks ago, IIRC, when yes, I had had a bad day.  However,
it doesn't matter whether a person is familiar with majordomo, listserv, or
other mailing list software.  What matters is whether they can read and
bother to do so.
     FWIW, I responded privately to the OP in the current case, quoting and
undercareting the header in question and asking him to unsubscribe himself.
He then wrote back, asking me how to do it!  So I wrote once again, stating
that I couldn't believe it, this time placing a large, vertical arrow below
the undercareting and pointing upward toward it.  That time he finally got
it.  Sigh.  If you can think of any excuse for that, I'd love to read it.

                                  Scott Bennett, Comm. ASMELG, CFIAG