Fwd: [Wikitech-l] Planning to tighten TorBlock settings

7v5w7go9ub0o 7v5w7go9ub0o at gmail.com
Fri Apr 3 15:28:49 UTC 2009

Gregory Maxwell wrote:
> FYI—
>
> ---------- Forwarded message ---------- From: Brion Vibber
> <brion at wikimedia.org> Date: Fri, Apr 3, 2009 at 5:44 AM Subject:
> [Wikitech-l] Planning to tighten TorBlock settings To: Wikimedia
> developers <wikitech-l at lists.wikimedia.org>
>

> en.wikipedia.org and others have seen a rash of abuse coming via Tor
>  in the form of account creations with abusive names and such; this
> is taking up a large chunk of CheckUser and oversighter time and
> effort, which is apparently not too fun.
>
> It looks like the current settings don't generally restrict various
> actions to a logged-in user when accessing through Tor; is there any
> objection to tightening this up to restrict edits, account creations,
> etc via Tor except when the account is explicitly excepted?

Thank you for bringing this up!         How sad for us all!

I sure hope that the Tor community can quickly effect some sort of short
term solution. The precedent of destination sites restricting
Tor access - even temporarily - is something that must be avoided
(before governments become involved). Even if we have to use a blunt
instrument (e.g. temporarily blocking wikipedia access entirely).