exit counts by port number over 61 days

Scott Bennett bennett at cs.niu.edu
Thu Apr 16 06:12:52 UTC 2009

     On Wed, 15 Apr 2009 15:00:55 -0700 "F. Fox" <kitsune.or at gmail.com>
wrote:
>Scott Bennett wrote:
>(snip)
>>> There are Trojans opening backdoors on that port.
>>>
>>> http://isc.sans.org/port.html?port=1080
>>
>>      Hmm...very interesting.  Maybe I should close that one.
>(snip)
>
>Although it's a longshot, another possibility is that someone is
>chaining one or more additional, non-Tor open proxies onto the end of
>their proxy chain.
>
>They may do this if they want to hide that their proxy is backed by the
>Tor network from a destination admin, for example - or if Tor is
>blocked, and they know of a one-hop proxy that isn't.

     Okay, thanks for that.

>There are plenty of other ports to do this on, though - many of them far
>more common than 1080 (and SOCKS) nowadays.

     Right.  I think I'll hold off a bit longer to see what other comments
people may make here before I close that port.
     BTW, I am still very interested in reading any comments people may have
regarding patterns or anything else they notice in the exit counts that I
posted here.  I looked for the most obvious stuff, but there may be other
weirder stuff going on involving port numbers that had fewer, yet still
significant numbers of, exits.

                                  Scott Bennett, Comm. ASMELG, CFIAG