quick question

Scott Bennett bennett at cs.niu.edu
Fri Sep 12 09:25:30 UTC 2008

     On Thu, 11 Sep 2008 14:38:38 +0200 (CEST) "Marco Bonetti"
<marco.bonetti at slackware.it> wrote:
>On Thu, September 11, 2008 14:16, Scott Bennett wrote:
>>      Can a bridge offer hidden services?
>AFAIK, any Tor client can setup an hidden service, not just a router.

     Hunh...okay.  That hadn't crossed my mind as a possibility, but now
that I think of it, I can't come up with a reason it couldn't work that way.

>> If so, is there anything special to do or watch out for in setting them up?
>What do you mean exactly? Are you worried about exposing a bridge ip in
>order to blacklist it or are you worried about running an hidden service
>in general? or both? :)

     Just wanted to know if there were any potential, but avoidable, pitfalls
that one should know about.  No, yes, and no, respectively.  Like I said,
they were curiousity questions.

>If my first sentence is correct, there should be no problem for a bridge
>to run an hidden service except, obviously, for offering a service exposed
>to the internet (well, a part of) so all of the golden rules about
>security and proper setup applies here. With the need of an extra layer of
>paranoia as it would be quite interesting if an hosted web application
>will reveal your un-torified external address ;-)

     Right.  And that reminds me of an old question.  When tor starts up,
it logs a standard disclaimer about being experimental software, don't bet
your anonymity on it, and so forth.  Is there an intended release number or
date by which that disclaimer is expected to be changed or deleted from tor?

                                  Scott Bennett, Comm. ASMELG, CFIAG