hijacking DNS server

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Mon Sep 22 16:12:20 UTC 2008

On Mon, Sep 22, 2008 at 11:50:05AM -0400, Rochester TOR Admin wrote:

>      Unfortunately my crappy ISP does DNS hijacking:
>
>    Does the ISP actually redirect all DNS requests or just try to resolve
>    typos and strip phishing sites?  In most cases, you can override the

"Just try to resolve typos" = DNS hijacking.

>    default DNS servers that your ISP provides and put in something like
>    OpenDNS or one of the root DNS servers.

I don't want to use DNS servers I don't control. I have a couple
remote DNS servers, but it would be slow and painful to authenticate
by pseudo-static IP.

I realize this is off-topic, but I figured other OS X tor admins might
have bumped into this problem as well.