invitation to directory server operators

Hans Schnehl torvallenator at gmail.com
Sat Sep 13 13:18:43 UTC 2008

On Sat, Sep 13, 2008 at 06:18:51AM -0500, Scott Bennett wrote:
>      On Sat, 13 Sep 2008 12:31:34 +0200 Hans Schnehl <torvallenator at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >On Sat, Sep 13, 2008 at 04:46:14AM -0500, Scott Bennett wrote:

[...snip...]

> >So the idea of running a HSDir server is probably limited to those with more permanent
> >IPs, unless the 24 hour waiting period for HSDir servers to become active is changed to
> >something shorter.
>
>      Oh, well.  However, I do notice that German HSDir servers outnumber
> those of all other countries at present, so *somebody* there is getting
> better service.

They do either run a rented server or pay a rather expensive price for that.
For a private person who wishes to run a Tor-node with higher bandwidth and
undisrupted connectivity I assume it to be best to rent a server somewhere.
Prices have become quite moderate by now. Last not least this would contribute
more bandwidth, nodes and anonymity, and that's what it's all about, isn't it?

> >0.5c
> >
>      That must be before adjusting for inflation, right? ;-)  In this
> country, the U.S.  Mint has not produced 0.5c coins since the mid-19th
> century or perhaps earlier.  Now 1.0c coins are not worth picking up off
> the ground, though if you good get 5 or 10 kg of them, you could sell
> them for the copper, because the face value has dropped significantly
> below the metal value.  Reading about precious metals coinage is like
> reading something from Anderson's fairy tales nowadays.

Numismatic evaluation....  but back to topic ;)