we seem to have another huge traffic reduction

Scott Bennett bennett at cs.niu.edu
Wed Oct 8 00:42:19 UTC 2008

     Over the last few days, the torstatus pages appear to have confirmed
what I see when I watch the activity of my tor server:  another precipitous
drop in traffic load over the entire tor network.  This is the second such
reduction in total traffic that we've seen in the past few weeks.  Are these
reductions due to some of the changes in the last few versions of tor?  Or
is something actually wrong in our network?
     I notice that 0.2.1.6-alpha fetches fresh consensus documents far less
frequently than 0.2.1.4-alpha and earlier did, typically only once about every
three hours instead of roughly hourly.  Getting rid of the old directory
protocol (0.1.0.x versions) seemed to be at least correlated with the earlier
reduction.

                                  Scott Bennett, Comm. ASMELG, CFIAG