How to ban many IPs?

slush slush at centrum.cz
Wed Oct 29 20:52:15 UTC 2008

Hi guys,

Im talking with teachers about running tor node on my university. There is
plenty of unused bandwidth, especially at night :-). But there are some
arguments against tor, so Im trying to find some solutions.

One of arguments was, that tor is used for downloading porn and p2p networks
and university won't support that. Although I partially agree with that, I
know that freedom of speak is main motivation for me and I will fight for
Tor in university. So I found blacklists of pornsites and other stuff (for
example http://urlblacklist.com/) and think, how I can implement blacklist
to tor exit node.

First solution is to use ExitPolicy. But there is probably limit of listed
IP. I dont know any exact limitation, but because list of restricted IP is
uploaded to directory servers, it cannot be a much. In blacklist are
hundreds of restricted IPs.

Second solution I found is to use transparent proxy and apply filters
inside. In this solution, directory servers and tor users dont know, that
there are some sites filtered and they can be confused. It is also not good
idea, because any good tor scanner (soat or my one) will mark my exit node
as bad exit.

Is there any other solution of my problem? Any proposal? I know that
filtering is not good idea at all, but I have only two possibility. No tor
or filtered one. I vote for tor server with high bandwidth and some
restrictions.

Thanks,
Marek