Introducing Torsocks - Transparent socks for Tor

Robert Hogan robert at roberthogan.net
Tue Oct 28 19:44:55 UTC 2008

On Monday 27 October 2008 19:04:38 Kyle Williams wrote:
> Very cool.
> How is this different than proxychains?
> It seems like they both do the same thing.

I actually wasn't aware of proxychains, which looks like it was written
about the same time as tsocks.

You're right that they more or less do the same thing, and they more or
less do it the same way - by using LD_PRELOAD to hook a program's calls
for writing to and reading from the network, including DNS.

Apart from the fact that proxychains allows you to chain your traffic
through multiple proxies I think torsocks does the following 'extra' bits:

- It supports some dns/network calls that proxychains does not, e.g.
getpeerinfo.
- It blocks primitive UDP calls by the application (to help prevent DNS
leaks via UDP).
- It supports the use of hidden services.

I haven't looked at proxychains very closely and I have to confess I
haven't even used it, but I *think* that is about it.