IRC problems with Tor

Grozdan microchip at telenet.be
Tue Oct 28 14:19:20 UTC 2008

Hello,

I recently started using Tor and Privoxy on Linux and so far everything is
working like it should. However I'm having one small problem. Whenever I try
to connect to irc.freenode.org port 6667, I always get the below message

-leguin.freenode.net- *** Banned:  Tor freenode is hidden-service-only
(mejokbp2brhw4omd.onion) - see freenode.net/irc_servers.shtml.
[error] Closing Link: 127.0.0.1 (Banned)

I then went to the freenode site and looked up information on how to make
freenode work with Tor. In the documentation, it said to add the below line
to my torrc file - http://freenode.net/irc_servers.shtml#tor

mapaddress  10.40.40.40  mejokbp2brhw4omd.onion

and then to restart Tor, which I did. But I keep getting the same response
from freenode and it doesn't allow me to connect at all.

I'm using Konversation as IRC client on KDE. Konversation itself doesn't have
proxy settings, but instead uses the global proxy settings of KDE. My KDE is
configured to use privoxy/tor for its connections and it works without a
problem. I also tried another IRC client (XChat) but I get the same response
from freenode. Does anyone know how to resolve this problem?

Thanks in advance