simple user question - someone please reply!

vorwaertsgang at web.de vorwaertsgang at web.de
Sun Oct 26 11:00:03 UTC 2008

Hello TOR community members,

this question might seem stupid to you, but it is essential for TOR
usage, and with my knowledge as a user-only, I couldn't answer it with
the TOR documentation/FAQ.

Why is it that when I enter a non-existant URL in Firefox/TOR (e.g.
http://www.krachunddonner.de/ ), I receive a screen
(http://alicesuche-de.aol.de/suche/alice_afe_landing.jsp?invocationType=500error_alice&q=www.krachunddonner.de/)
from MY internet provider saying the requested site couldn't be found
AND containing the requested URL in a search field?

This means that whether I'm using TOR or not, my provider always knows
the URLs of the sites I access (or try to access), right?

TORs "exit node" is a step in front of my provider, so my provider can
log which sites I access, and, in case I don't use encrypted
connections, even all content I access. And he knows WHO's accessing it.
Correct?

How else can it be that I receive that screen containing the URL I tried
to access?

Please answer or tell where I can find an answer I can understand
without a lot of technical knowledge.

Thank you!!

Pat