bad exit blacklisting

slush slush at centrum.cz
Sat Oct 25 10:53:35 UTC 2008

2008/10/25 <phobos at rootme.org>

> On Fri, Oct 24, 2008 at 11:10:21PM +0200, slush at centrum.cz wrote 2.5K
> bytes in 49 lines about:
> : > as far as I read Tor documentation, I cannot find mechanism, how can be
> : > exit node marked as "Bad exit". Is there any standardized mechanism for
> : > detecting bad exits and marking them in directory servers?
>
> I believe the answer is the bad node detection would have to run on the
> directory servers.

But it is not implemented anywhere. In soat script is just placeholder
function for exporting bad exits, but it is not implemented yet.

: > Im asking because Im working on automatic bad exit detection and Im
: > interesting, how it can be automatically propagated for wide masses of
tor
: > users. Instead of "BadTorNodes page" author, im not paranoid with used
: > algorithm and I can publish source codes (after confirmation on live
data).

Is this related to torflow or Coding Project #1 at
> https://www.torproject.org/volunteer.html.en#Projects ?

> You may want to check out torflow at
> https://svn.torproject.org/svn/torflow/

Yes, Im working on similar project as soat.py, but with a little different
method. The main difference is that Im not comparing html page downloaded
via Tor and via direct connection, but I retrieve many copies of the same
page via many exit nodes and doing some transformation on that. Using this
method, I have less false-positives in case of dynamic page. I think it is
the main difference, but there is more little "improvements" (or things with
different implementation).

Originally, I was thinking about improvements of existing soat.py, but there
is absolutely different access to problematic, so it is easy to write it
from scratch. Im just curious, if there is interest from anybody other and
if it is teoretically possible to use my work as (part of) detecting
mechanism on directory servers. Im writing that as part of my thesis, but I
will be glad, if anybody will find useful for self. It can be reason for
writing script as fully working application, not just prototype (code
snippets), which fulfill requirements of my thesis.

Marek