Performance

Mike Perry mikeperry at fscked.org
Wed Oct 22 19:02:59 UTC 2008

Thus spake Alessandro Donnini (alexdonnini at ieee.org):

> Browser
> - --------
> 1) Sea Monkey (Mozilla)
> with Polipo 1.0.4
>
> 2) MS IE6
> with Privoxy 3.0.8
>
> Using either browser, performance has been abysmal (I am not exaggerating).
> Time-outs occur, and pages have to be re-loaded.
>
> When I say performance has been abysmal, I mean that average response time has
> increased by at least one order of magnitude when compared to using a browser
> with a direct connection to the Internet.

There are some performance suggestions at:
http://wiki.noreply.org/noreply/TheOnionRouter/FireFoxTorPerf

but damn does that page have a tendency to descend into madness and
conflicting information quickly. I have done my best to pare it down
to the useful bits, but in case it mutates again, the most useful
performance tuning suggestions are the Firefox HTTP pipelining options
(assuming you use Polipo), and the CircuitBuildTimeout and
NumEntryGuards Tor settings. The Tor settings are by far the more
impactful of the two, I've found.

P.S. You should really be using Torbutton 1.2.0 with Firefox if you
want anonymity/privacy: https://www.torproject.org/torbutton/design/#attacks

--
Mike Perry
Mad Computer Scientist