How to strictly exclude exit nodes?

Anon Mus my.green.lantern at googlemail.com
Thu Oct 2 11:39:59 UTC 2008

Anon Mus wrote:
> Scott Bennett wrote:
>>      On Sat, 27 Sep 2008 17:13:02 -0600 "John Brooks"
>> <aspecialj at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> 4 and 5 hop circuits can be created when contacting or publishing
>>> hidden services and, I believe, sometimes when retrieving directory
>>>

>>      A circuit to a hidden service may indeed have four or more hops.
>> However, the client sees only the hops on the client's side of the
>> rendezvous and the server sees only the hops on the server's side of
>> the rendezvous.  Even the number of hops on the other party's side of
>> the rendezvous is unknown to the party that is curious.
>>

>>> information. Many nodes run directories on port 443, so that's not
>>> particularly unusual.
>>>

>>      I'm not sure why a non-hidden-service circuit would have more than
>> the hard-coded default number of hops unless a controller has directed
>> the client in building that circuit.
>>
>>> For the thread as a whole, I still think the problem is that this exit
>>> node is being *explicitly* requested (www.google.com.blabla.exit), and
>>> that it would never be chosen automatically by tor itself, as I stated
>>> in my first message. StrictExitNodes is an irrelevant setting.
>>>

>>      I agree.  It's his own fault.
>>

>>                                   Scott Bennett, Comm. ASMELG, CFIAG
>> * Internet:       bennett at cs.niu.edu                              *
>> *--------------------------------------------------------------------*
>> * "A well regulated and disciplined militia, is at all times a good  *
>> * objection to the introduction of that bane of all free governments *
>> * -- a standing army."                                               *
>> *    -- Gov. John Hancock, New York Journal, 28 January 1790         *
>>

> I can now confirm that dozens of 4 hop circuits can be seen in
> vidalia's "connections" list (no more 5 hops yet) and they are being
> used by the likes of vidalia and thunderbird just as the 3 hop
> circuits are.
>
> I have also observed that large numbers of 4 hop circuits appear on
> startup of the tor client and pretty much disappear after a few
> minutes or so. This is probably why I only noticed the odd one before
> now.
>
> Can anyone else see this?
>

> -K-

I have installed the latest tor (vidalia 0.1.9, tor 0.2.0.31) bundle for
windows. This time I downloaded it via tor rather than through the open
internet as I had previously.

With the previous version I could see  fully built 1, (2 - maybe ?? -
once), 3, 4 and 5 hops circuits.

With this latest version I can now see fully built 3, 4 and 5 hops circuits.

I have screen shots of 4 and 5 hops circuits in on vidalia's connection
window. If anyone would like copies, please email me.

-K-