German data rentention law

Sven Anderson sven at anderson.de
Sat Oct 18 18:36:00 UTC 2008

Am 18.10.2008 um 10:49 schrieb Karsten N.:
> Some papers of non-gouverment organizations like ULD: "Tor and JAP are
> not affected by the telecommunication law, because it is not a
> telecommunication service (in the case of law) and tor nodes have NOT
> to log."

That's not true, the ULD is a 100% governmental institution (at least
financially). Its task is among others to supervise the data
protection in the government agencies of Schleswig-Holstein (German
province).

> Or, if it was more simple for the developer, a feature for exit nodes
> to define a country (based on geoip) to reject all exit routes. If all
> german relays used this feature, it may work.

This would be a good option anyway. Rejecting exit connections to your
own country would dramatically reduce the investigation requests. In
my case 100% were because of connections to German servers so far.

> Otherwise, all german nodes have to switch to middle man.

I suggest to keep calm. There is a long way to go, before we will have
a final judgment about this. And until then there's no need to act.

In general I don't like to create the impression that the logging in
Tor nodes is so essential for the reliability of Tor. If the trust in
Tor would be based on the assumption, that the Tor nodes are not
compromised and not logging, the whole concept would be flawed, and I
would never support it. The  new data rentention law is a danger for
the simple one-hop-proxys, but not for Tor. You would need a detailed
log on _circuit_ level of every single node in order to trace it back.
I don't even know if Tor is able to create these logs (not with info
level, what about debug level?). But it's very unlikely that the
German courts will demand even this. The worst case will be TCP
connections, which are almost useless, since you hardly can correlate
in- and outgoing connections. (My node has always 4000-5000 parallel
open connections, and connections to other Tor nodes are persistent.)

This whole law anyway will turn out as a big joke (as usually), since
there are so many networks that hide thousands of users behind a
single NAT address, which _officially_ don't have to log, because they
are not public. (Like big companies, university networks and student
dormitories, for example.)

Regards,

Sven