Tor Socks4a handshake error?

Jon McLachlan mcla0181 at umn.edu
Thu Oct 16 23:03:13 UTC 2008

Hey everyone,

  This is a long shot, but...

  I'm developing on top of Tor through it's API.  I am running Tor as an
OP, and I am continuously being rejected by the socks port during the
handshake, returning the SOCKS4a error code 91 (or 0x5b = [generic]
request rejected or failed).  The reject occurs after an attempt to
connect through a single hop tunnel in planetlab, in which the remote
node is a an exit OR servicing the requested address/port.  I am
referencing the address in the request with an unresolved domain name
(not an IP).  Further, the circuit was extended using the API
successfully (circuit status = built or extended, does not seem to matter).

Now comes the strange part:  When I make the OP and OR (by giving it an
ORPort), it works.  Any thoughts?

PS - using the tor binary, 0.2.0.15-alpha

~Jon